Getting full value from the Board
In line with the Cadbury 1992 recommendations, the Board invited a review to assess performance against corporate governance standards. Observation & interviews identified that the new CEO would benefit the organisation to a high degree if he were to use the full power of the highly experienced Board - both NEDs & Executive Directors. Some board members were not contributing their full value.
We fed back to Board members during the process, & immediate changes began to take place, namely:
- The CEO began working with the NEDs, utilising their thinking
- The NEDs gained increased understanding of the business through greater global access to business situations & the people
- Executive Directors contributed more of their substantial expertise, & beyond their functional brief
- New NEDs were fast tracked into their roles & thus contributed more effectively & faster
We were successful because we:
- Maintained the trust of a charismatic & exceptionally talented executive Chair
- Overcame the resistance to investigation through persistence & a focus on doing what was right
- Provided honest input rather than looked to our own 'safety’
'I have always found Caroline and her organisation’s work for our Board and Senior Executive to be insightful, pragmatic, business-oriented, client responsive and a great partner to my work in organisation and leadership development. Also very credible with diverse stakeholders, she is a great ambassador to my function at all levels.'
Ben Bengougam, Vice President Human Resources EMEA at Hilton Worldwide
'Caroline is an extraordinary talent in this area. She has extensive experience of senior teams, usually at board level, and has the ability to transform performance through very honest conversations and feedback. I can think of only a few people with this talent.'
John Vickerman, Chief HR Officer at UAE Broadcast media
'Caroline has deep knowledge and understanding in the field of leadership assessment including that of CEOS, significant international experience and adjusting her approach to different cultures. Her insights and judgments are always presented with great clarity and extreme accuracy.'
David Longbottom, Chair of Board of Governors at London South Bank University
‘Caroline is one of the most intelligent & sharp minded business person that I have come across & her views are without question always worthy of evaluation. She is an expert in her field & is perfectly comfortable dealing with international organisations, their structures & leadership teams & has a style that is both direct & intuitive. I cannot imagine that any time spent with her will serve to do anything but add value to any business.’
Guy Hipwell, Director of Home Shopping (E Commerce & Mail Order) at Harrods Ltd